Saturday, May 21, 2011

Week 1

It’s now been a week living in BV, and in all the good ways it feels like its been a month. The adventures thus far are a positive indicator of what is sure to be a summer rooted deeply in all the good things. I’ve in the past five days guided all seven sections of Browns Canyon... and can’t wait to guide them hundreds more times the coming months. Every moment on the river has me lost in metaphor and thanksgiving for the gift all around me all day... water. Water that will eventually make itself to the gulf, be evaporated up into a cloud, moved back over and up to the mountain top as well as the plains bringing the source of life to all living things. The cycle continues, and we continue to live within the wonder, but refuse to give proper praise. Clouds, rain, rivers & oceans have to me become a constant reminder of the presence of the holy spirit, the source of life, the wellspring... we need water, we need Jesus... there is no life outside these two.

Tomorrow I will travel down to the south office about 20 minutes outside canyon city for a week of rafting a different section of the river. Six of the twelve rookies will eventually have to go down and live at this office which boasts a better camping situation, better weather, but falls short of Browns Canyon in technical difficulty, as well as missing out on living in Buena Vista... a town thats uncovered a warm spot in my heart where simplicity and its benefits are clearly seen. I mean shoot, I went to a restaurant last night that had two items on the menu, both came with a salad which you can’t choose. Prime rib or sirloin... which’ll it be?! Had donuts at a place this morning thats been there since 1936, and all the recipes were the same original recipes from 1936, made with the same equipment. There was even a group of three eighty-somethings sitting at a table in the corner... it was perfect. Anyway, at the end of that week is when we are able to start checking out, and begin guiding.

I wish I could share a picture of my view outside my car... I sit here now with a 180 degree view of some of the most powerful & comforting mountains I’ve spent time around. The clouds these past week seem to be tireless in their climb up over the tops of these mountains, proceeding to rain down snow, rain, & hail all over this thirsty landscape. The clouds are a sight for sore eyes as all creation in this region was becoming a bit thirsty... but it has arrived faithfully, and the bad weather has brought life, that life giving life, and so on and so forth.

I’m going to go now and continue my journey through the first book in the lord of the rings trilogy... a journey I can’t begin to convey my excitement for. Near the beginning there was a quote that launched me into a new level of excitement.. it read “there came one day to bilbo’s door the great wizard, gandalf the grey, and thirteen dwarves with him: none other indeed, than thorin oakenshield, descendant of kings, and his twelve companions in exile.” I have a feeling they will come into play down the road. I’ve become enraptured with the mind of JRR Tolkien, his creativity and attention to every single detail, sprinkled with some extra detail. But not too much so as to rob you the opportunity to expand upon his creativity and paint a picture from the words you’ve been given. This is the blessing of literature we’re as a culture quickly loosing an appreciation for.

Alrighty... Off to dress for dreams. Signing out.

2 comments:

  1. dgood22.5.11

    so excited for you. so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it boo... once again the Lord has you on a journey and "great adventure" oxox momma

    ReplyDelete