Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Life at the Albergue

Life at the albergue (orphanage). I've now been here for just over a week, more than enough time to feel an integral part of the albergue family. They've had me doing a myriad of different tasks since i've arrived. Starting out in the orchard, i was bent with the task of making fruit grow in a giant sand box(i'm speaking quite literally here fyi)... hmm. So after digging some trenches and laying pipe for the irrigation, we're now set to wait patiently for the arrival of a fruit! I figure i'll be gone before they get the news that fruit doesn't grow so well in sand... I tried to tell them, but my spanish has yet to venture beyond the superficial. Anyway, that was last week. This week they have me in the shop! Whohoo! My task this week is to fix - to the best of my ability - the 15+ bikes we have sitting in the shop (these bikes are beyond trashed... i can't even begin to describe them without getting a headache). They gave me a $200 budget for this, and another $200 for my other task which is to build (from scratch) 5 shelves/hanger racks for the volunteer rooms. Haha! So... today Alias and I ventured into Trujillo to get the appropriate materials for the bikes (for just under $100 we were able to get 15 tubes, 10 tires, 8 chains, lubricant, tools, 3 sets of pegs, 4 new seats, 7 pedal pairs and some other misc stuff... pretty incredible how far you can stretch the dollar here!) and then to the Madera where we got the wood, made the cuts, etc etc etc and then back to the albergue. However, not before Alias took me to his favorite hole in the wall cebicheria where we got a thick bowl of cebiche, corn, potatoes, a bowl of pasta, and a beverage for 8 soles total between the two of us!! In case you haven't gotten the point... it's cheap here... thats like $2.75.


Ha.


I'll have to say it is a bit overwhelming trying to lay out this past week in proper blog form... i'm caught in a struggle to harmonize my tangible experiences here with those moments that have truly touched my heart in a seemingly indescribable way... moments with the kids. I will simply lay out whats on my heart...


Being here has certainly broadened my perspective on people, culture, and most especially God. I have learned a new definition of the all loving God as my knowledge of the 'all' has grown immensely. Working with orphans, allowing myself to briefly sink into their situation, has in a way given me a new cross to bear, so to speak... because now i can't in good conscience ignore the reality of these people, these ninos, and also not wonder at the millions more across the globe who suffer from similar afflictions. Travel, while it shouldn't come with a guilt trip, has become more to me thanseeing the sights, more than enjoying a sunset and a glass of the house red... travel to me, at least in this chapter of life, has become an experience of broadening my global perspective and challenging the truths i was raised thinking were god-given and self-evident. And while not every crossroads in life has a biblical arrow pointing in the right direction, we can pray for wisdom, for discernment, for a deeper understanding of what it means to be a follower of Jesus Christ in a hurting world. I can tell you, as can many of you i'm sure who have worked with young ones in poverty stricken nations, that the joy these kids have in their hearts is enough to make my heart smile everytime i'm with them. To the world, these kids have been dealt a hand thats worth nothing more than a quick muck... at least in the culture I was raised. Many of these kids abandoned as babies, some lived in dumps before arriving here, the majority having been physically and sexually abused before being forcefully removed and brought to the Hogar de Esperanza (house of hope). They're brought here and taught responsibility, accountability, and the good news of Jesus Christ. In the time i've been here there's been an unusual amount of moving going on... we recently welcomed 5 new kids, and are preparing to say goodbye to 3 (one of which is my favorite... see pic below!!). Needless to say its been pretty tough for all of the volunteers and staff, but fun to watch at the same time the immediate acceptance of the 5 newcomers!


I was asked a few days ago to lead the bible studies two times a week for all of the volunteers, our first one being tonight. The verses I referenced (in order) for those of you who are interested are: Acts 26:12-18 (paul's drastic change) Eph 5:8-10 (children of light) Mth 18:3 (unless you are like a child...) Col 2:2 (unity) and Eph 4:1-6 (more unity)... It was pretty special being asked to lead this, and it was a welcomed challenge and it definitely was a challenge as i still have yet to 'really' know these people i'm working with on a deeper level. So tonight i wanted to talk about the definition of a christian, the worlds versus Jesus' definition... Talk about being transformed in the holy spirit, being evidence of change, moving from dark to light, and being re-born... For the last two verses we shared some conversation on the importance of unity, being united in one god, with one purpose, encouraging eachother along the way... in love. It seemed to be received well, and it'll be interesting to see how it works out in the coming weeks, but i'm excited to see how this group grows beyond the superficial where it seems (sadly) they've made themselves comfortable. Anyway... something you all can pray for specifically..


Before I sign off, i've been thinking alot lately about suffering, not speaking to the kind of suffering i'm witnessing here, but as I think of the recession we're currently in, and how many have been deeply affected by it, I wonder what it looks like to suffer well in these times. I recently uncovered a quote by John Piper (one of my new favorite authors), he said that 'even the most holy, and sanctified, and pure man or pure woman, has a sediment of sin in the bottom of their beaker...' I work well with visuals, and this brought to life exactly what i've always believed. That the shaking of our environment (recession?) exposes and reveals hidden sin, in order to bring us to a place of deeper repentance and cleansing. For when all is controlled and things are going good, the sediment is all but invisible, but when things become uncomfortable, and we become shaken, sin in our life is revealed that otherwise went unnoticed. I mean look at the life of Job... He went from being completely blameless and upright, fearing the lord and shunning evil, then, after his beaker was bumped, falling on his face in dust and ashes and repenting of the sin that became evident in his life. THIS IS A GIFT PEOPLE! Recession is great at revealing the unseen sin of waste in us... abundance = waste... recession = awareness! And yet once we've repented and dealt with all the uncovered sin in our lives, there's no promise the suffering will end. Sometimes trusting God means you don't get to get off the cross...

I haven't experienced this kind of suffering... although i have saught to be stretched in ways uncomfortable and foreign to myself... i've learned the luxury of having less and the freedom of simplicity... i've during my travels learned much about myself and in my journeys with the lord have learned about some of my own 'sediment' and have grown from the 'shaking environment'... but i have yet to truly suffer, to be knocked, to be brought to the only place that makes sense, falling to my knees in the dust and the ashes . Hmm... Again, a gift it would be. Suffer well friends. Don't waste this recession... find out what he's doing in you, and do it.


I've truly outdone myself here... I'll let you go now! Sorry about the length of this really... i reached a point where i just let my fingers go, and that's dangerous for me!


Until next time!


luke (and christopher!!)




4 comments:

  1. piper's a beast.
    he has SO much free content it's ridiculous
    www.desiringgod.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bruce olswang27.5.09

    Excellent thoughts Luke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am incredibly lucky that God has blessed me with a friend such as you. brah, i get soooo stoked to read these blogs of yours and to see how God is using you in trujillo. from leading bible studies to rebuilding bikes down to every hug a los ninos, Dios le esta ulitizando y le esta hicidendo en el hombre que el le ha creado para ser. philippians 1!

    anyways, i am so glad that i got to talk to you yesterday too. i'm excited to see where God will take us next on our journey. peace and love brother!

    jz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds awesome man. Assuming you got them all back up and running, I can only imagine what a sense of accomplishment you would receive from fixing all those bikes. I'm sure it was a lot of sweat, dirt, grime, maybe even a few naughty words, but there's nothing like FIXING something; that's what men love the most. Not only that, but to see how happy all the little ninos were to have bikes to take off sweet jumps.

    The shelves, however--that would suck. I hope that they turned out, well, level, amongst other things.

    Be well my brother

    -D Bo

    ReplyDelete