Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Who will be in Heaven..(??)

10 . 25 . 11

Revelation 6-7

Since the first time I ever reeeally read revelation (which was maybe two years ago or so, just months before I left for Haiti) these two chapters have been really difficult for me.

The first five chapters left us nestled into a pretty warm scene... Jesus, the lamb, has just revealed himself walking to the throne surrounded by elders and angels worshiping his greatness... He had just been given the seals to open, and they worshiped in this anticipation of what was to come.

In chapter 6 we have the seals being broken. The first four seals each revealed a horse, each ushered in by one of the four living creatures there with the lamb... each a different color and each with a very different rider on their backs. White, red, black and pale. The description and importance of these horses is beautiful and deep, coming more into play later.

Stay with me...

The fifth seal opened up the voices of the martyrs. Those “slain because of the word of God”. Each was given a white robe, and on this day they were made holy... but they were told to “wait a little longer, until the number of their fellow servants and brothers who were to be killed as they had been was made complete.” They wait for those living, who will eventually die, “slain because of the word of God.”

Faith. Combine faith. This is a scene we want to understand deeply... we learn who will spend eternity with our God.

The sixth seal brought a great earthquake, the stars fell and the earth was rocked.. The sun turned black, and the moon red. Everyone fled to caves (safe places). After this, a strange thing is done to the earth... Angels are assigned to take the four corners and stretch it, “preventing any wind from blowing on the land or the sea or any tree.” This might seem strange, unless you see the wind as representing the spirit... as it does all throughout scripture.

BUT. Before they began their duty that would rid the earth of the spirit, the seal of the living God came down and said to the angels “do not harm the land or the sea or the trees until we put a seal on the foreheads of the servants of our God.”

Mmm...

Before John - after hearing the words of the living God - there appeared a "great multitude, that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the lamb.” (7:9) All wearing white robes, they worshiped.

Now, this next part was tough for me...

An elder standing near John during this unfolding of the great multitude wearing white asked him... “these in white, who are they?”

John responded.. “sir, you know.” And the elder did know... he said this..

*soak this in, these are those who will be SEALED.. those that will be with Him in eternity, wearing white*

“These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. Therefore ‘they are before the throne of God and serve him day and night in his temple; and he who sits on the throne will spread his tent over them. Never again will they hunger; never again will they thirst. The sun will not beat upon them, nor any scorching heat. For the lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; he will lead them to springs of living water. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.” (7:14-17)

The first time I read this, what I left in the margins was simply “I am too comfortable...” yuuup.

... apparently at that time, like now, it was the simpliest way of packing up such a crazy loaded emotion.

I just read about those who will inhabit heaven... and I would be hard pressed to place myself into any of the descriptions...

Never again will they hunger...
thirst...
be scorched by the sun...
“And God will wipe away every tear...”

Are these things I need freedom from? Should I need freedom from them? Peace in their midst?

This isn’t a section of scripture I’ve found to fit well into my cultural puzzel... The pieces are just different...

I realize now that this book of revelation largely influenced my interest in diving into other puzzle boxes...

My time in Haiti - learning the beauty of those peoples spirits in the midst of such terror, oppression, and lack of basic supplement - was vital for me in understanding the reality behind these verses.

Laced throughout scripture we find the comfortable things of this earth paling when compared to the richness of color offered by the gift of the spirit. I feel a bit pale today...

The less comfortable we are on earth, the more we learn to lean on the spirit... leaning - like maybe doing a wall squat would burn your quads and bring strength - in this way strengthens the bonds with the spirit... trust increasing with increased reliance... trust in an eternity wearing white in His kingdom separate from the pains they felt on earth...

Placing myself in other peoples pain - another puzzle box with very foreign pieces - I was able to learn a sliver of the depth of their trust... their reliance. I also soaked in the depth of our need, right here in my own puzzle box. In different ways we rely, in different ways we are then led... to different boxes maybe? maybe not.

I believe many reading this have experienced something similar to my own... shocking in nature, burning on the tablet of your heart new ideals for life here on earth... and a new hope of the beauty that awaits amidst the struggling.

I still wrestle with this scripture, knowing who will be ‘sealed’, and not feeling worthy. It’s funny, worthy in the kingdom of Heaven are those who here on earth experienced great suffering.. hunger, thirst.. Not really funny actually. :/

I know that today I want to rely on the lord in new ways, leeeaning more on Him and his spirit for guidance, comfort, strength... And if you will lord, bring me again into another box of puzzle pieces that I might be near to those, and grow deep with those who experience daily the plight (or glory?) of hunger, thirst, and scorching heat... those who will be dressed in white one day. Give me a heart soaked in compassion, moving to act in bringing the attributes of heaven to earth.. sharing in peoples pain that I am foreign to... healing and being healed.

A deep struggle of mine, my spirit is anything but settled (i count it a blessing..), I too pray for peace and conviction... Today, I feel a bit sick..

“It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.” -Jesus (mt2:17)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous26.10.11

    I think those helping the suffering and feeding the hungry are just as worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say that I disagree with you. I will say though that this section of scripture was and is still hard for me. It's just hard to deny the beauty that comes with less in reality, and now shown in scripture that 'less' is made into 'more', dressed in white, living with God...

    I just don't know.

    I do however believe that in a large way, to what degree we 'lean' on our maker in our unique 'puzzle box', builds the dependance and strengthens the connection with the spirit, leading one to moving in the direction the spirit might lead. I believe that one being led by the spirit will move in a direction of helping others gain life... and with many unique puzzle pieces in this box which is unique to our culture... each puzzle piece that fits into the 'bigger picture' of His purpose is one that brings life...

    Imagining it this way helps me to make sense of it for 'my box'.. but all i'll say is I was deeply convicted by it.. and i hope to always be. It reminds me of the barren nature of my spirit that needs quenching only His spirit can satisfy... and then be led by. to those hungry, thirsty, scorching in spirit and in flesh.

    ReplyDelete